Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Life in Little Neck with Knitting and Everything Else

I am sitting here contemplating my life. It is a crazy life with demands that only I seem to be able to accomplish. Family pulling in all directions. Somehow the craziness is worth every minute of it.

The knitting in my life:
I like to have a current project and a long term project (knitting of course.) My long term project is a lace shawl. It is the Estonian Garden Wrap & Scarf pattern by Fiber Trends. I am using Maggi knits Irish MK Collection Luxury Hand Knitting Yarn, Maggi's Multi Linen. Color 106 is a three strand yarn wrapped together. It has pale blue, taupe and tan. The three yarns are three different wpi's. It is a challenge to knit. I have to be alone and have everything quite to work on this shawl. So...you can imagine how much of a long term project this is going to be.

My short term project is a sweater, from a booklet that I no longer have (in other words lost.) I have my photocopy of the pattern, and I know that it is Design 9: Hooded Gilet and Jacket with Zip or Buttons in Peter Pan Velvet Touch. All of the patterns in the booklet used Peter Pan Velvet Touch. I am knitting the Hooded jacket with buttons. I am using Peter Pan Velvet Touch color 1227 (multicolored purple/yellow/green/magenta/blue.) This has been the sweater from ----! I have frogged the back completely, twice. I have frogged both front panels multiple times to multiple locations in the pattern. I am now working on the second sleeve. This is supposed to be my last piece. However, I am waiting to see how the second sleeve turns out, and see if it matches the first one. Unfortunately I have my doubts that they will match. This is a BABY SWEATER, and I have been working on this for 6, count them, 6 months. Or is it 8?

As for what is going on in my life:
I just finished repairing a garden that the tree removal men had to dig up in order to bring the monstrosity of a crane into my front yard. I still have more to do. I need to move some other bushes that were in full shade and are now in full sun. If that is not enough, the Chesapeake Bay Preservation board had to approve the removal of the trees. Here is the best part. I have to plant 5 trees for every one tree that was removed. We are talking 20 trees to plant. Now 20 trees sounds like a whole lot, but what they don't care about is that I already have 30 trees on my property! I have no idea where I am going to place said trees. You see my dilemma. And as we all know, that only scratches the surface of what else is laying there before me.

Here I get sappy:
Hopefully I will be able to take you through the journey of life and knitting with me...without boring you to tears. Now I think I will escape into my knitting and a cup of coffee. I think the house is quiet...shhhh.

No comments: