Wednesday, June 25, 2008

To BEE or not to BEE

Today I have to start differently than last I posted. Life is educational and I want to pass on to you a lesson I recently learned.

What is going on in my life:
I have to tell you about my gardening experience yesterday. I will start by explaining a few things about ground bees. Yes, for those who are not familiar with them, there are bees that have their hives in the ground. They are rather stealth. In the summer when Iam continuously pestered by flies and mosquitoes, Flying things are just more flying things. They just keep buzzing and biting and buzzing and biting... I digress. Ground bees are fiercely protective of their nest (I think you know where I am going with this). Well, I was pruning my hedge, and found a nandina bush under my azelia bush. I proceeded to trim back into the bush in order to liberate this captive of the bush. As I stepped into the hedge to save this poor bush, I was attacked from behind! Then I was attacked on my arm. I screamed and went running for cover. They were buzzing around my head. They were shamelessly chasing me down ( I failed to tell you that they will chase you down)! I zigged to the left and then to the right (that was predictable). I went racing for cover. The garage door is in sight. I run into the door, slam it shut and franticly scan for any enemies that may have followed me into the house. Nothing there. All was quite. The battle was over. Now to attend to the wounds. I had two stings. The one on my arm was minor, although it hurt like the devil. The one on my back was a different story. The enemy had left it's sword in my left shoulder blade. This one hurt considerably more. It took too long for my husband to come home and extract the stinger from my shoulder. When all was said and done, I made my husband go out there and gather up my gardening tools! I was not foolish enough to go out there again!

The knitting in my life:
The baby sweater that is out to beat me into submission moves on. Still working on the last sleeve. My shawl is limping along. Why is it that no matter how careful you are, you can always make a mistake. I am completely without skill at fixing stitches in a lace pattern when found two rows later. It's "Greek to me." Knowledge comes with experience, right? Sigh...I would appreciate a little less experience.

Here I get sappy:
I have the most beautiful granddaughter. Her name is Melanie. I am her Nonni. She is the one for whom I am knitting the baby sweater. I thought I would let you see her for yourself. I my be prejudiced, but now you can see why I am so determined to complete Melanie's sweater. Taa taa for now.

1 comment: